Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Weekend Adventures and Party Nutrition Tips

Well it is snowing……what a shocker I know! It is a very snowy winter this year. We either get no snow or we get walloped with a bunch of storms. Now this isn’t a lot of snow for upstate, but trust me LI people cannot drive in the snow! The drive in as it started to snow? Not bad. The drive home today? HORRIBLE! Be careful my fellow snowbirds!

I had a great weekend this weekend! Friday was just a chill down night. Saturday I studied for a work test and cleaned during the day and then I went to my cousin’s party which was a blast!! I learned a lot about myself at that party more that I put too much on myself and that I need to think of myself sometimes!! I also scored some awesome jewelry pieces to add to my slowly expanding collection. And I will show pictures later after I get batteries in my camera :/

I am glad I made it there because Saturday morning during my workout, I hurt my neck going from a full plank back into a forearm plank and I heard my neck crack as my body weight when into it. Luckily with some Aleve and heat it feels fine now. I was able to get to the party with some pain and had to cancel my training session at the gym Sunday, but when I woke up yesterday, it felt fine! Thank goodness for that!! Anyways so then Sunday no gym session, but I did manage to squeeze in a movie. I am on a quest to see as many Oscar nominated films that I can before the award show. First up: American Hustle. I have to say that the acting was phenomenal. They really are so engulfed in their characters that you forget you are watching Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper etc, you just see the characters they portray and that is great acting. The story line was good, not the best but I love the concept! I think it is one of those movies you need to see more than once to really appreciate. I get why they won for Best cast at the SAG awards, but the fact that they didn’t win for the individual roles at the SAG (although the two girls one Golden Globes) makes me really want to see movies like Dallas Buyer’s Club who Jared and Matthew are snatching up all the awards because their acting must be out of this world, or at least I hope it is because their acting is going to be hard to beat!

 

Eating for a Party

Okay so how do you prep to eat at a party? That is hard because most people will starve themselves the day of a party thinking then that they can eat everything. That isn’t the way to go! You are going to overeat! My little piece of advice is that the day of the party, you should eat a lot of protein and drink a lot of water. Why? Because water will keep you feeling fuller and also help you flush your system. Party foods tend to be higher in sodium so you want to keep flushing your system to get rid of the excess salt. Protein will also help you stay full longer. This way when you get to the party, you aren’t going to overeat there. Overeating makes us feel sluggish and is not good for your body. So then what do you do when you are at a party? You aren’t going to NOT eat. That is unrealistic, torturous and rude to the person who went out of their way to buy all of that food to entertain their guests. So here is what you do. If it is a buffet style party, scope the buffet, see what they have and find that one thing you may want to splurge on (whether it is sausage and peppers or eggplant, etc) and get some of that (don’t fill your whole plate with it, just enough that you feel you aren’t going overboard, but aren’t feeling deprived). This should be maybe a quarter to a third of your plate. If you can’t get just one, get two things as long as it is only a small portion of your plate. The rest of the plate you should fill up on healthy veggies or a salad. This way, you get a little bit of what you want, and you also aren’t being rude to your host. Now if it is a picking type party (like appetizers or snacks) than make sure you do not sit within reaching distance of the food. If you constantly have to get up to get more, you are more accountable for what you are eating than if you are mindlessly picking. Last tip, limit the alcohol. Now I am not saying you can’t drink (hey it is a party, you should be able to let loose if you want and have a drink) but don’t go crazy. Why? A) Drinks have calories too and can be sugar based and B) the more you drink, the more you lose you inhibitions which can lead to eating more than you normally would. Now I am not saying do not enjoy the party and cheat a bit, we are human, we need to relax sometimes! But you do not have to derail your diet either for a party. Some enjoy a little bit of the food you love, have a drink (if that is your thing) and cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment